Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Recording, editing, coding and first playtest - week 7, 8, 9 and 10


About time for a new update.

So I've been spending some time recording sounds, this time with family members to help me create some of them. I got quite a few recordings, so it was necessary to organize and name the files according to what was being recorded. I've been recording various types of effects, including fire, stuff hitting wood and more footsteps. Recording the more abstract sounds turned out to be a laugh, since I got the bright idea of using my mouth to create some of them. Listening to myself babbling and gurgling away, it turned out to be somewhat of a challenge to stop giggling.

I’ve also been learning bits and pieces about Unity, reading through a tutorial in a book I’m using.

When it comes to coding, I’ve been trying to code footsteps sounds into the game. That is taking some time. There are several reasons for that, but one of them is that I haven’t been taught how to do such things. Another reason is that in my book, there is nothing about making footsteps. I’ve been making some progress, but haven’t found a solution yet.

On a high note – we had our first playtest of Revenge last week. It was a lot of fun. We got some really good feedback and we are looking forward to implement changes to the game based on that. At the time of the playtest, I only had one single sound ingame (the river sound), so I got little feedback on the sound. Last week I also edited my fire sound, trying to make it sound “big”. When listening through my fire effect recordings, I wished I had made some different sounds as well, since some of them were maybe a little bit off. But I tried to make the best of it, and eventually decided that’s good enough. The fire sound is now ingame and loopable. Have a listen at a sample below. Editing on two of the more spooky sounds in the game have also started.



No comments:

Post a Comment